Saturday, September 8, 2007

e-chapters look nice

Some of you are working with e-chapters instead of the hardcover textbook. I just bought the Chapter 5 e-chapter, $3.99, and it downloads nicely.

However, it is a "sealed" PDF file, so it requires a special viewer that integrates with Acrobat Reader. I am on a Macintosh Powerbook, Tiger 10.4.10, Adobe Reader 8.10, and it took me a few minutes to figure out I needed a special viewer. But I downloaded the special "Sealed Media" viewer and it now lets Adobe Reader handle the e-chapter just fine. You have to sign-in to the e-chapter, with a username and password.

To work through this process, there is an eChapters FAQ that explains the special viewer. Look at FAQ #6. They also have instructions for you if you have a Windows computer.

The chapter 5 e-chapter looks righteous. Good substitute for the actual textbook.