Friday, February 10, 2012

"Your Exam 1 score"

Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, many semesters I must set up several versions of each midterm exam, all of them equivalent, to accommodate special conditions for one or more students in the section. This holds for lecture as well as this online section.

Webcourses allows me to assign the versions to specific students or groups of students, but the My Grades page does not allow me to display one version per student. For one student to see his score on his version, ALL students will see that row in My Grades, even though they have no data in that row.

As a result, on your My Grades page in Webcourses, you will see a few different rows of various versions of the first midterm exam. To resolve the ambiguity for students and to make grading easier for me, I have created one summary row for everyone, "Your Exam 1 score," in which everyone will have their version score displayed. So everyone will have two rows with a score:
  1. "Your Exam 1 score" and
  2. the score on the version of the midterm exam that you took.

Try to remember this when you look at your My Grades page. Confusing at first, but you will get used to it. I will try to make it more streamlined in later exams.